Monday, March 21, 2011

Welcome to the LowCountry!

Hey Y'all!

Welcome to my day in Charleston, SC at the Medical University of South Carolina. I'm a research assistant in the department of psychiatry which keeps me pretty busy but I tried to have a nice Monday so you'd have some lovely pix to see on your Tuesday! Enjoy your hipstaaaaaa pix of the Lowcountry! (Thank you to Matt for showing me this amazing app)

Picture 1: I'm currently wondering what possessed me to ask my mom to take this picture of me. It's Monday effing morning. Early Monday morning. Clearly I did not think this through....




This bridge goes by many names. I drive over it every day & it's probably my favorite thing about the morning (besides my many innumerable cups of tea....see below). If you ask Natalie, Eric or Noopur they will tell you this bridge is named "The Future Bridge that takes you to the past." If you ever bring an engineer here they will bore you to death about the piles & retaining walls that went into the design. The locals call it the Cooper River Bridge or Ravanel Bridge. Silly people run across it (for a 10k) the first weekend of April every year. It's a MESS!

This is my office building. It's a bigger than this but there's a ton of construction going on across the street. My office is on the top floor just beyond the curvy window.

Yay-it's my desk! Here's where the science happens. You can't quite tell but there's half a chocolate croissant, a travel mug, a thermos & a mug....I like my tea in the morning....
This is a cafe called Halo in one of the old houses across from campus. I like to go here for lunch. Today I went with a post-doc in my department who graduated from a program I'm going to apply to in the fall.Spring is here in full force! I never thought I'd live somewhere with palm trees but I have to say it's grown on me.
This area is called the quad. The white building is the "Colbert Library" (Yes, it's those Colberts. Stephen Colbert's family has donated big $$ to MUSC.)
Liz is the project cordinator on my study. She's been the best coworker I could have asked for this past year. This crew is Trouble. Jane, Kelly & Tammy. These ladies handle intake on our floor & some of the other studies. They keep me entertained to no end....Some of the stories are not fit to be published on the internet.
Phew-finally off work! My friend Jess wanted to meet up tonight somewhere downtown, so since it was blog day I of course told her I wanted to go to my favorite place.... This pic is of King St which has a lot of historic architecture, yummy restaurants, & lots of cute shops.

The Gin Joint! Piciquito Picante in hand, boys in bowties at the bar & cheese plate on the way. A lovely way to mark the end of another monday.My Charleston bestie Jessica. She went to Chapel Hill but we decided we should be friends anyway. Truth be told, most of my buds here are from North Carolina-the NC expats seem to stick together.Unfortunately, there are 4 more days in the week so we had to call it an early night. But I decided to snap a pic of the pollen splouge on my car. Ordinarily it's dark green but it's more of a yellow right now....I hope you enjoyed this brief tour of Charleston! I've thoroughly enjoyed reading everyone's blog post! Let's all do a weekend sometime or a sights to see in your town post soon!
Looking forward to seeing you all soon!!
Love,
Em




















7 comments:

  1. What a beautiful city you live in..and that is a very spicy red dress. Love it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. ah! sights to see in your town! i love it. or maybe: a weekend of favorites in your town, could be next!

    your post was adorable. as you are.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I agree with Steph! I loved that red dress, and I really want to visit you in the South!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Long live the future bridge to the past!! Awesome post, Em :) Gotta love the shallow South (as compared to the deep South...oyyy)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Please come see the south jess! I agree matt! We need to reunionize in other american places! (There are many bridges here as well!)

    As scary as this is Eric, I think I may be in the deep South! Idk how this happened! A couple bits of evidence: there is a 10 day reenactment of the firing on Ft. Sumter next month; #2, I do not get any time at Easter off. But I do get May 10th off. 15 Schrute bucks for anyone who discovers what ridiculous holiday is being commerated that day...

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh, Em, I simply love this! And, I also love your dress! There's another state with palm trees that would love to have you live there...wink wink :).

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love my daughter so much...and those ladies you work with

    ReplyDelete