Wednesday, March 16, 2011

Wednesdays with Stephanie

To preface this, I should let you all know that I am currently on a hiatus from teaching for the moment, and about to embark on a three month trip traveling and working around Europe. In the meantime though I've been spending my time at my parent's home in northern California. Thus, my daily life at the moment is significantly less active and exciting than usual. I still did try to capture how I spend my average day here so you can all witness how things go down in Sacramento.

Today started waaay earlier than I would have liked. I get up at 7 to skype with my boyfriend Matt who is still working in Korea until he joins me in Europe.

It's a 16 hour time difference from Seoul which means we switch turns getting up early or staying up late so we can have webcam-chats. It's very irritating.

Since there is nothing left in the coffee pot my parent's made before they left and I'm too lazy to make another one, I heat up water for some chai tea that I enjoy so much.

My favorite mug ^_^

After an hour spent on my computer I feel it's time for a jog/stroll around the park across the street from my house.

Casa De Rearick

This park is the best thing about where I live hands down. It has a nice walking path, lots of fields, great fishing, an area for dogs to run around and play and always has some fair or music festival going on every other weekend.

This morning it's noticeably devoid of people though...

After the park, it's time to get on all the errands I have today. Most of them are boring ie post office, bank, etc. but I did capture a picture of my favorite place where I have to pick up some last minute travel toiletries.
Happiest place on Earth

It was my first time going back there after a year in Korea and I forgot how much I missed it so.

After running around town I'm hungry and decide I deserve some In n Out.

nom,nom,nom

Following that deliciousness I have to get back to work on packing up all my belongings in storage in my parent's garage.

After three big bags of stuff I donated to Goodwill I still have all this crap.

Finishing that task I follow the lead of my family's cat and take a nap in the sun.

She's judging you.

I wake up in the mood to get on top of the cooking for tomorrow's St. Paddy's Day meal.


I make some Irish soda bread to go with the corned beef and cabbage.


Then I decide we need a festive dessert so I make some lemon cupcakes...with green frosting of course.

I get a phone call to go pick up my brother from high school, but he declined to be photographed.

Now it's time for me to cook dinner for the rest of my family. Today I decide we are going to eat a harvest grain blend with quinoa and cous cous with grilled eggplant.

All courtesy of Trader Joe's.

The rest of the family come around to partake in my efforts.

It's a success..ya!

When dinner is cleared it's time to refresh my Spanish language skills since I'm planning to do some farming in Spain for a few weeks.

On a sidenote there is a really good Spanish tutor app on itunes

After the rest of the family heads up stairs it's time for me to head to my favorite spot in my house.

This is how all my evenings end..my fireplace roaring, a glass of wine (or beer) and some Jon Stewart.


So that is my life at the moment. I wish I could have shown you all my cute kids in Korea or my friends over there. I thought everyone who has gone so far has done such an incredible job and set the bar quite high. I'm also bitter that I don't have a hipstamatic camera but that's neither here nor there. Anyway, thanks for giving us this opportunity Kate to showcase our lives and I can't wait to see what everyone else is up to.

10 comments:

  1. Steph, I totally LOL'd at the captions for your photos. Oh, and don't be bitter--I won't have any hipster-whatever photos either.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I can't wait until we are able to meet up and actually catch up in person! So jealous of you're Europe trip!

    ReplyDelete
  3. steph! i love it! im glad you were able to go before you leave casa de rearick!

    ReplyDelete
  4. That is the most lethargic cat I think I've ever seen! :) Great post, Steph.

    And FYI - there is an app for android called RetroCam that does hipsta-style pics which is what I used. So even if you dont have a fancy-schmancy (and less awesome than android) iPhone you can still be a hipster and take hipster pics :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. also - in n out, target, books and wine by the fire, AND irish soda bread - that sounds like a good, good day!

    ReplyDelete
  6. What a fabulous day! Stop on the east coast on your way to europe!

    Sidenote, I dreamt about In&Out last night before I even read this!! Hahaha!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Steph. Your life seems down-right California Dreamy. I enjoy everything about it, and I'm excited to hear about your European escapades.

    And Rick--you don't need an app to be Hipster.

    ReplyDelete
  8. @Matt, helpx.net posts farming and other odd job opportunities in exchange for a place to stay all over the world but especially in Europe.

    @Em,so wish I could make a pitstop on the East coast before I head across the Atlantic. I will be hitting you up shortly for Ireland travel advice.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Steph, that's awesome. I was looking into that site two or three months ago---specifically for hostel jobs in New Zealand. Still don't know if I'll actually follow through with it, hehe.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I looked at that helpx.net, and I wish I would have done something like that every summer!

    ReplyDelete